Saturday, April 18, 2015

Hey...


So a lot of people have asked me why I don't blog on a regular basis. Apparently I've given the impression that my family is interesting. ;) I'm actually a very boring person who sits at home and does dishes and sweeps up 10,000 messes a day and yells at short people to keep their clothes on. Not so awesome right? 

I truly have no idea how to write a blog post about myself but I understand the desire to know the person behind the adoption story and all that so I'll do a little "10 facts about our crazy family/life" and hope that works. So here goes.

1. I love my people unconditionally. What do I mean by "my" people? My family, obviously, but my friends as well. I was raised an only child after my brother died when I was 3, I had no extended family in the area, so I grew up truly feeling like my friends were my family. I don't have many friends...I'm not the girl with 100 acquaintances she calls friends...but I have a tight circle of friends who are like my sisters. Once I find someone I connect with and want to be *real* friends with, I love them like family and there is absolutely nothing I wouldn't do for them. 

2. I have no filter. I don't know if this is a blessing or a curse but just know if you ask for honesty, you're going to get it...I'll be kind in my delivery though. :) My mouth has been known to get me into trouble, because I can be...opinionated? My husband says I'm bossy but that be true...right?! :)

3. My kids are my life. The sun revolves around these people as far as I'm concerned. Everything I do, every decision I make, every person I allow in our lives...it's all done with my children in mind. I get 18 years to teach them to be productive members of society. I take that responsibility very seriously so I'm often really tough on them when I know they can do better, but there is always time for hugs and kisses and being goofy, too.

4. My husband is my best friend. I know, I know...we all say that. :) I haven't been around many functional marriages in my lifetime (which is kind of sad, right?) so I don't really have anything to base our marriage off of but we just have a lot of fun together. I would always choose him to spend my time with over any other human being on this planet. I think he kinda likes me too. :)

5. I work from home selling hair accessories and handmade jewelry, but I have 3 degrees. After high school I went off to college and double majored in Political Science and Economics. I wanted to study corporate law and was accepted into Northwestern's Juris Doctorate program but ended up moving to Tennessee. There was really nothing I could do with my degree field here so I went back to get a Criminology/Public Service degree, and because I'm a crazy person I'm getting ready to start a master's degree. I guess you could call me a professional student but I love learning and I can't stop myself. :)

6. Speaking of learning, I've homeschooled my kids for six years. My oldest has always homeschooled, my youngest is being homeschooled now for preschool (he will go to public school next year), and my daughter with special needs homeschooled with me for two years before going to public school this year. I try to gauge each kids needs, and when I feel like I'm doing them more harm than good, I send them to school. My daughter was mostly learning life skills with me, and when I did all I could for her on a full time basis, I felt professionals would do a better job. My youngest son asked to go to school, so we are trying and if it doesn't work we can always pull him. My oldest loves homeschooling and will probably homeschool through high school.

7. We love Jesus. That's probably a really weird thing to say nowadays, right? It probably sounds really weird to people who knew us "back then" too...but people change! We, as a team, decided a few years ago to turn our lives over to God, and we haven't looked back. We are by no means perfect Christians, we get more wrong than we get right on any given day, but we're trying to use our lives to better the lives of others. When people ask why we adopt, why we choose to be really cheap so we have more to give away to others, why I invite homeless guys to have dinner at random restaurants with my family, why we're so weird haha...the only answer I have is Jesus. I don't need stuff, I don't need money, I don't need to keep up with the Jones'...I need my Jesus to say "well done" when the few years I have on this earth are over. 

8. I love DIY projects! (I'm just really bad about finishing them...) I love painting and distressing and building...but I get a little busy and tend to have half finished projects everywhere...

9. I'm a speed reader. I have to get books from the library or go sit at the bookstore and read, or find freebies in the Kindle store because otherwise reading gets really expensive haha. I tend to finish a book a day when given the time.

10. I'm an open book. I share everything! I'm on facebook a lot because it's my only grown up interaction most days...I can only watch so much Doc McStuffins before I want to snap and choke those little toys out. :)

So there are 10 facts...not super interesting, but a little insight into who we are. <3  


No comments:

Post a Comment